function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
professoreprofessore 

What settings are needed to allow other users to login via the API ?

I have developed an API connection with Visual C++ 6.  It works great for my user but when other users try to login they get access denied.  What do I need to enable to allow them to log on ?

I am using the developer version of salesforce currently.

Thanks

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
professoreprofessore

This is the solution :

Does each user need their own API key ? YES

All Answers

b-Forceb-Force

you need enable API for this users profile

go to Profile --> Inside Administrative permission section --> Check the check box 

API Enabled

hope this will help you

Thanks,

Bala

professoreprofessore

User has System Administrator profile and API Access is enabled  ... however it still doesn't  work.

professoreprofessore

To clarify, the user has System Administrator permissions. The Administrative Permissions - API Enabled checkbox is checked.  

I am using the developer version of Salesforce. One other thing is that the user I am trying to log in as has a different domain to me, the owner of the site. Would that make any difference ?

Does each user need their own API key ?

The message I get is ...

{urn:fault.enterprise.soap.sforce.com}INVALID_LOGIN : INVALID_LOGIN: Invalid username, password, security token; or user locked out.

I can login no problem.

professoreprofessore

This is the solution :

Does each user need their own API key ? YES

This was selected as the best answer
Mark SFMark SF

I'm not sure what you mean by "each user needs their own API key".

A user needs the "API Enabled" permission in their profile. You're saying that they do have that.

You can look at the user's Login History to see if you can get more information on the login failure.

1. Click <User Name> > Setup > Manage Users > Users.

2. Click the Full Name link for the user

3. Click the Login History related list to get info on the login attempts.

This should tell you if it's an incorrect password or a user lock out.

To get more information on security tokens, see https://na1.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/user_security_token.htm

I hope that helps.

professoreprofessore

I'm not sure what you mean by "each user needs their own API key".

There is a different API Key for each user, not one global API key for all users as I initially thought. That's what I mean.

Anyway I now have this working - another answer that I have accepted is the one that solved it for me.

Thanks !

Navneet RajputNavneet Rajput

If you are using developer edition then it has access to limited number of users, If you want to use your application for multiple of users then you  need to go for unlimited edition in salesforce.

you can try with the following solution-

you are getting access denied means you are not able to connect to the salesforce server. If you are tring to access using API then you need to provide security token followed by password. If you want  to avoid that then you can make changes in to admin profile by setting IP range from min to max.(0 255 255 255 to 255 255 255)

I hope this will help you.

Navneet