function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AndyPandyAndyPandy 

Altering existing records after adding record types to Custom Object

Hi All,

I created a Custom Object - "Capital Pipeline" recently for our Production Org.

This has been live for approximately 2 months, and so far we have in excess of 300 records created.

Now, rather annoyingly, management have asked me to alter the Custom Object, so it's split into two different Record Types (Cameras and Other Capital).

This is fine, and can be done without a problem; however, I want to know what can be done with the existing records, which won't have any record type affiliated with them:

- Can I assign one of the record types to the existing records?

- If so, can this be done via Data Loader?

- Does it matter if the existing records are not affiliated with a record type?

Ideally I would like all records to have a record type, as that will ensure there is consistency and everything will be captured in the same way from a reporting/dashboard etc perspective.

Any help/advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Andy

Navatar_DbSupNavatar_DbSup

Hi

Yes you can update the recordtype of the existing data by data loader.

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved. 

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

Q) "Can I assign one of the record types to the existing records?"

A) You can update the RecordTypeID field with a new value. If you add the Record Type to the page layout, you can also edit the record type for an individual record.

Q) "If so, can this be done via Data Loader?"

A) The RecordTypeID field is available through most available data mechanisms, including the UI, the Apex Data Loader, and Apex Code. Given the small number of records involved, some Anonymous Apex might be even faster than the Apex Data Loader (depending on your skill level, of course).

Q) "Does it matter if the existing records are not affiliated with a record type?"

A) They do technically have a "record type", actually, referred in the UI as the "Master Record Type" (usually listed as "-- Master --"). Any record already in the system when you add your record types will have this default record type. The only reason why it would matter or not is that existing records won't show your new page layouts or picklist values until they are changed to one of the new record types. From a technical perspective, it does not matter, but from your job's longevity perspective, it just might.