function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AxonifyLauraAxonifyLaura 

Drawing content from account fields to contact fields

I am looking for a way to autopopulate a field in contacts based on the content from a field in accounts. Specifically, 2 fields - "Type" and "Industry".Both are single drop-down.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sornasorna

create a new field on contact, choose type as formula...click next... Give an appropriate label and name to the field and choose the type of formula (like text, number or datetime etc)...click next... now you will have a formula editor with a button called "insert field"... use this button to access the fields from accounts...so at the end, your formula should be like "Account.Industry" or "Account.Type" ...

All Answers

sornasorna

You can use formula fields to pull the values from account. But then those fields will be read-only. If you want them to be editable, you can write workflow rules or triggers to update them.

AxonifyLauraAxonifyLaura

I don't need it to be editable, so will use the formula field. Unfortunately, I'm not technical and don't have experience in building formulas, so if you could push me to a resource for help that would be great. SF.com support pushed me to this message board to get help building the formula.

sornasorna

create a new field on contact, choose type as formula...click next... Give an appropriate label and name to the field and choose the type of formula (like text, number or datetime etc)...click next... now you will have a formula editor with a button called "insert field"... use this button to access the fields from accounts...so at the end, your formula should be like "Account.Industry" or "Account.Type" ...

This was selected as the best answer
AxonifyLauraAxonifyLaura

A BIG thank you!