function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sol1977Sol1977 

Linking Product related list to a custom object

With the opportunities object you can add products from your pricebooks to the opportunity and as such affect pricing etc. I like the way this works however not all our sales relate in opportunities, there are cases when an account requests a replacement part, this is an auto sale however we do want to track the part underneath the account, for future reference.

So I started a custom object called Orders where our sales team can start a new order and like with opportunities can list the products from the price book. So basically a custom object with products as a related list. The drama I am having is that when you setup products as a related list in my new object it only allows you to add new products to your price book, not add existing products in list form like what hapens under opportunities.

The buttons that you see in the products related list are not available outside of the opportunities object. Anyone else experience this?

The idea or what I am trying to acheive is so that sales can setup a new order, put in all the products they need ordered for the particular account and hit save, from there an email or notice gets sent to the purchasing person. But ultimately the product will be listed under the account for future reference.

marketforcemarketforce

Instead of a custom object called Orders you should consider using a custom record type on Opportunities. You can set it up so it has different fields and layouts if you wish. It has all the functionality of the Opportunities, including Price books.

I've set this up for our org for similar situations as yours. I even added a Button to cases so our support team can create an opportunity with just one click. It populates all the info from the case/account into the Opportunity. All the support rep does is select a product from the price book and click close.