function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
kathirkathir 

Difference b/w objects and VisualForce

Hi , 

I m really Worried , bcoz i created First APPS  ->OBJECTS ->Custom Fields ->Tabs .

I thought this going to be  my site . but after knowing that VisualForce and creating pages .

Im really confused 

1. Is Objects are database Tables ? and Custom fields are Columns?

2. Whatever creating Tabs are tables?

3. How to see visualforce pages?

4. how to display menus in my Site?

5. Actually creating sites like

na.force.com/Login

na.force.com/Home

na.force.com/Contactus

confusing . 

Can u give me clear idea all about this

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

There are two ways to do the same :

1. Under Setup | Administrative Setup | Data Management, you can import Accounts/Contacts, Leads, Solutions, Articles and Custom objects data.

2. Use data loader to import standard and custom objects data.

Did this answer your question? if so, please mark it solved.

All Answers

I try to answer your queries :

1. Is Objects are database Tables ? and Custom fields are Columns?

Object are like tables and fields are like table fields. There are some standard objects available and under every standard object some standard fields are available. You can create custom fields (additional fields) as per your business requirements. Apart from this custom objects can also be created.

2. Whatever creating Tabs are tables?

Tabs are of two types :

a. Standard Tabs

b. Cutom Tabs

Standard Tab is a user interface component to display Standard Objects data and a custom tab is a user interface component you create to display custom object data or other web content embedded in the application.

The following types of custom tabs are available:

• Custom Object Tabs display the data of your custom object in a user interface tab. Custom object tabs look and function just like standard tabs.
  • Custom Web Tabs display any external Web-based application or Web page in a Salesforce.com tab. You can design Web tabs to include the sidebar or span across the entire page without the sidebar.  
  • Apex Page Tabs display data from a Visualforce page . Visualforce page tabs look and function just like standard tabs.  

3. How to see visualforce pages?

You can expose visualforce pages on custom tabs as mentioned above. Apart from this visualforce pages can be exposed on customer portal and force.com sites.

4. how to display menus in my Site?

I recommend you to display the menus on force.com sites. Force.com sites enables you to create public websites and applications that are directly integrated with your Salesforce.com organization—without requiring users to log in with a username and password. You can publicly expose any information stored in your organization through a branded URL of your choice. You can also make the site's pages match the look and feel of your company's brand. Because sites are hosted on Force.com servers, there are no data integration issues. And because sites are built on native Visualforce pages, data validation on collected information is performed automatically. You can also enable users to register for or log in to an associated portal seamlessly from your public site.

5. Actually creating sites like

na.force.com/Login

na.force.com/Home

na.force.com/Contactus

You need to create a force.com site for the menus like these. please see answer no. 4.

Hope this helps.

kathirkathir

Thanks Pradeep , In SQL database we copy some data from excel and import in tables . Is there any possibility of doing like that in Objects for eg. (State and Country tables)

There are two ways to do the same :

1. Under Setup | Administrative Setup | Data Management, you can import Accounts/Contacts, Leads, Solutions, Articles and Custom objects data.

2. Use data loader to import standard and custom objects data.

Did this answer your question? if so, please mark it solved.

This was selected as the best answer
kathirkathir

Really Thanks for your help Pradeep