function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TMangoTMango 

Assign Case Owner at Creation of Case

It would be great if we could assign an owner to a case at the creation of the case, rather than having to first save the case and then change the owner.  Is there a setting or any way to do this in the standard case object?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
TMangoTMango

From General Discussion Board:

I'm not aware of standard functionality that will allow this.

The only workaround I can think of would require creating a new custom case picklist field with your various case owner names (hopefully a short and fairly static list).  Then create new case assignment rules for every name on that list, making sure they are evaluated first.  By default, new cases would have nothing in this field, but if you want to manually assign to a different owner, you would select their name in this field, check the box assign using active assignment rules and save the case.

All Answers

aalbertaalbert

Have you looked into Case Assignment Rules? Search for it in the online help.

TMangoTMango

HI ... Yes, we have assignment rules working for automatic assignments.  We also have Workflow Rules that will assign to queues.  Sorry --- I guess I wasn't very clear in my initial question.  We want the ability to manually choose the owner.  Like --- I want to open a case and send it specifically to one of my team mates.  Right now, I have to save the case and then go back in and change the owner because the case owner field is not editable. 

I don't think there is a way around this, but I just wanted to verify.

TMangoTMango

From General Discussion Board:

I'm not aware of standard functionality that will allow this.

The only workaround I can think of would require creating a new custom case picklist field with your various case owner names (hopefully a short and fairly static list).  Then create new case assignment rules for every name on that list, making sure they are evaluated first.  By default, new cases would have nothing in this field, but if you want to manually assign to a different owner, you would select their name in this field, check the box assign using active assignment rules and save the case.

This was selected as the best answer
David Roberts 4David Roberts 4
see https://developer.salesforce.com/forums?id=9060G000000IByBQAW
​for using trigger to achieve this.