function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
XmanXman 

How about the restrictions of Web Service API in SF?

My next project seems like using web service api frequently, I want to know some restrictions about the api to decide how to construct the project.

I already know about how many time could we make API calls in 24 hours, and there still another questions.

1.How about the size when posts datas to SF or from SF to other services? Are there any restrictions? 1M?

2.How about the supported data types when posts to SF or from SF? I heard that it doesn't support the Blob,decimal,enum types when post datas from SF, but how about post to SF? Are there other data types do not be supported?

3.Are there any rectrictions about API calls at the same time? I don't mean *exactly* the same time, for example, how about 5 seconds? How many API calls could we make in 5 seconds or 20 seconds?

4.Are the restrictions any differences between asynchronous communication and synchronous communication?

It's very glad to see anybody answer my questions. Or you can just give me a link about such informations.

Thanks.

kamlesh_chauhankamlesh_chauhan

Go thorugh the below documentations. It might be helpful to you.

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/index_Left.htm#CSHID=calls.htm|StartTopic=Content%2Fcalls.htm|SkinName=webhelp

Regards,

Kamlesh Chauhan, (Founder & CTO, LogicRain Technologies)

kamlesh@logicrain.com || http://www.logicrain.com || LinkedIn

Answers/Suggestions are my own.
If a reply to a post answers your question or resolves your problem, please mark it as the solution to the post so that others may benefit.

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

1.How about the size when posts datas to SF or from SF to other services? Are there any restrictions? 1M?

Governor limits states that the total callout size is 3MB. This is an outgoing limit, not an incoming limit. I believe the incoming limit is still 50MB per request, but I can't seem to find this in the docs any more.

2.How about the supported data types when posts to SF or from SF? I heard that it doesn't support the Blob,decimal,enum types when post datas from SF, but how about post to SF? Are there other data types do not be supported?

Apex Code doesn't support blob, decimal, and enum on outbound calls at the moment. Doubles and floats are apparently okay, though. Of course, it's possible to support these types through custom coding; they're really only referring to support through the standard SOAP/WSDL builder interface.

3.Are there any rectrictions about API calls at the same time? I don't mean *exactly* the same time, for example, how about 5 seconds? How many API calls could we make in 5 seconds or 20 seconds?

There's a limit on concurrent requests exceeding 5 seconds in length. There's also limits on the number of open cursors on the server at any given time. There's apparently no limit on requests that do not exceed 5 seconds. You are, of course, bound to your 24 hour sliding window API limit, however.

4.Are the restrictions any differences between asynchronous communication and synchronous communication?

Asynchronous calls have separate limits related to how many pending/executed calls can be executed in a time window. There appears to be no distinction between synchronous and asynchronous calls as related to callout limits.

XmanXman

Thank you for your reply! It's very helpful!