function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BigTobyDogBigTobyDog 

Sandbox Refresh. Will I lose triggers?

I just inherated an instance with one sandbox.  I want to refresh it to update the fields and workflows I've added but this message stopped me in my tracks.  

"You are about to delete your old sandbox called "Sandbox" and switch to the new copy you requested. This change cannot be undone. Note: This operation will completely delete your old "Sandbox" sandbox and all contents. To acknowledge that you have read and understood this warning, please type the sentence below into the text box before pressing Switch Sandbox Copy."

I'm farely new to this stuff.  Will I lose triggers and test classes, and other things I do not know of?  The instance only has one functioning sandbox, which is the one I wish to refresh.

Thanks!  

SFFSFF

Maybe. If you have code - or any changes - in your sandbox that have not been promoted to production, then yes you will lose those changes.

If you have access to Eclipse, you can do comparisons to see if what the changes are and then do one-off promotions until the two orgs are in sync. You can also use change sets to promote things from sandbox to production as needed.

Here's the problem, though: you just inherited the org, so you don't KNOW which version is correct. Hopefully, someone else does - or else there is a very high likelihood that something is going to get out of whack. If I'm right, the very FIRST thing you need to do is use Eclipse or another tool to BACKUP your metadata for BOTH orgs. That way, you have a fall-back position in case something goes wrong.

Good luck!

BigTobyDogBigTobyDog

Thanks for such a thorough response.  I will definitley do that.  

Question though.  Is there only the potential to loose things in the Sandbox that HAVE NOT been deployed to production?  

If production is currently operating correctly and reactivating will overwrite the sandbox with a mirror image of my properly running production instance.  Will production still behave as it does?

I guess I don't fully understand yet the relationship between Production and Sandbox.  

Jerun JoseJerun Jose
The sandbox refresh will overwrite the configuration from your Production org into your sandbox org. The refresh process will do nothing to the metadata in your Production org. The only thing you need to be careful about is to ensure that when this overwrite happens, you do not have any new stuff that you developed in your sandbox.
BigTobyDogBigTobyDog
Excellent, thanks for your response. Just to be clear though, I have test classes and triggers in my sandbox now that are updating my production. Will the refresh overwrite them? If it was written but never deployed to production I don't mind losing that. I'd rather start fresh. Thanks http://www.bgcpartners.com CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail has been sent to you by one of the BGC entities (collectively BGC) listed at the following link http://www.bgcpartners.com/legal/disclaimers/index.html#email_disclaimer. The link contains company and FSA registration numbers. This e-mail, including its contents and attachments, if any, are confidential. If you are not the named recipient please notify the sender and immediately delete it. You may not disseminate, distribute, or forward this e-mail message or disclose its contents to anybody else. Copyright and any other intellectual property rights in its contents are the sole property of BGC and its affiliates. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version. Although we routinely screen for viruses, addressees should check this e-mail and any attachments for viruses. We make no representation or warranty as to the absence of viruses in this e-mail or any attachments. Please note that to ensure regulatory compliance and for the protection of our customers and business, we may monitor and read e-mails sent to and from our server(s). The registered offices of the BGC entities are at 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5RD. For any issues arising from this email please reply to the sender. The FSA register appears at http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/. The FSA regulates the financial services industry in the United Kingdom and is located at 25 The North Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London, E14 5HS.
Jerun JoseJerun Jose
If the test classes and triggers are already into Production, then you will not lose them as part of the refresh.