function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Cloud on FireCloud on Fire 

cascading total fields

I have a Student (Contact) record that is a master in a m-d relationship with a yearly tuition object, which in turn is a master in a m-d relationship to a monthly tuition record. In the monthly tuition record I have a formula field that pulls in the tuition from a lookup object based on the program the student is in, then I have the student contribution and another formula field that calculates the amount in deferred tuition.

What I want is on the yearly tuition record, to contain total fields for tuition owed, deferrments, student contributions from all of the monthly detail records. Then on the student record grand totals of all the yearly records.

Roll-up summaries will not work since 1) some of the fields are cross-obj formula fields 2) can't do roll-up summaries of roll-up summaries. So what are my options? Workflow? Triggers?

Any suggestions how to do that in such a way as to create accurate sums without getting too complicated?

Shashikant SharmaShashikant Sharma

Trigger is what you need for this. Workflow can not evaluate formula from parent to child. So trigger is only way by which you can achieve this.

let me know if you have any issues in writting trigger.