function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
lvivaninlvivanin 

Deployment of managed package into a professional edition

As I understand some of the features in managed package are irreversible. Last time I deployed managed package and later client wanted some of the existing object fields to be modified as external Id. Because of the managed package deployment the feature (external Id -changing) was disabled. For that reason I uninstalled the managed package in the prod, created new development environment, pulled all the components into it through Eclipse ............?!..finally decided not to use the managed package deployment at all to that project.Prod was in Enterprise edition.

Now I have to make a similar decision  in professional edition. I am re - researching on best practices. Will you please give some suggestion(s) when/how to use packaged approach & when NOT.

Its a kind of urgent.

Thanks in advance.

Greg HGreg H

I only use managed packages when I create an application for distribution/sale via the AppExchange. If I am building something for use by a particular client then I never use manage packages simply because of the hassle you outlined in your post. Odds are either the client will change their mind on some of the functionality that cannot be altered or they will decide to modify the functionality in some way down the road. By leaving the installation as unmanaged they can make any necessary mods as they see fit after our consulting work is finished.

-greg

lvivaninlvivanin
Thank you Greg - your thoughts were helpful.