function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ryan_BMPRyan_BMP 

Need averages... lots of them.

I am using an EE Org and my goal is to find averages of all related child records in a master-detail relationship. The problem is, I need to find the averages of about 30-40 fields. In other words, the limit of 10 roll-up summaries is just not going to cut it. These averages need to be displayed on the details page. I would prefer not to make a convoluted mess consisting of a dozen or so objects. Additionally, running reports followed by manual data entry is quite aversive, to say the least.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I might start to tackle this issue I would appreciate it very much. A step in the right direction is all that is necessary... even if that step will lead to some advanced programming and development.

Richie DRichie D

Hi Ryan,

I've done something similar to you and implemented it with 1 extra object which has 4 fields for each average value you want to report on. There would be a lookup to the parent object as well to tie everything together. The 4 fields you'd need are Total, Count, Average and FieldName for each value.

Just update the values for each field for the Field where the FieldName matches. The Average field can be a formula (Total/Count). Update the values via a trigger or directly in custom controllers.

Its quite useful sometimes to have custom objects that handle holding reporting or searching data as reports can be difficult to implement via the standard report functionality.

Good luck.

Rich.