function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Rick-ProfaceRick-Proface 

Where to start?

Hi, I'm new to Salesforce development and would like someone to point me in the right direction for the project I have been assigned.

My project is fairly simple. I want to click a button on a SF page and open a new window to a web page I already have that lists our part numbers. Then the user would be able to select a part and then this number would populate a field back on the SF page. Our part numbers change alot and importing all of them into SF would be a nightmare.

I've been looking at the SF documentation and there are alot of different options for development, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which path I should pursue.

Thanks to all who reply.

AlsoDougAlsoDoug

Rick

Sales Force normal pages do stuff like this all the time but I haven't seen any Visual Force/Apex functionality to magically do this for you.

I think you will probably have to do the following

On your Visual Foce page pop up a new window with java script.

When the user clicks/selects the value in that window you close it and pass the value back to the caller (original) window.

This is generally done though java script by setting a value in the parent window.

You will have to goggle it since I don't have any code sitting around right now that does this but hopefully this will set you in the right direction.

Doug

Rick-ProfaceRick-Proface
Thanks Doug. From what I have been reading javascript cannot do this on different domains so I will have to find a work around. Still open for suggestions though.