function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
chrisforce4727chrisforce4727 

Limitations of Force.com Free Edition User License?

So I have been tasked with building an application for my company. I like the idea of using Salesforce.com's Force.com platform as a service to develop the application. I also like the idea that Salesforce.com has decided to give me 100 free users of the "Force.com Free Edition" type, to help me get started.

I need to build custom dashboards for a subset of my users.

So the question is, does the Force.com Free Edition user license type have access to dashboards?

I have been unsuccessful at setting it up and cant seem to get an straight answer from Salesforce.com.

Thanks

Chris

ReidCReidC

Yes, they can access reports and dashboards.  Are you just not seeing the tab?  Try clicking the tab at the far right of the tab bar to see all tabs.  It will be in there.

Hi Reid,

I can see the tab. I have enabled the tab in the application. The problem is that when I click on the dashboards tab (logged in as a force.com free edition user) I only get the splash screen for the dashboard tab. I have associated said user with a public group and given this public group access to dashboards. Still no dashboards are showing up. Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

ReidCReidC
Did you create a dashboard that you can see when logging in a the Platform System Admin, the user you signed up as originally?
Yes, I can see the dashboard logged in as the admin. 
Some progress (I think). On the profile, I enabled the "manage dashboards" option under administrative permissions and I was able to get to the page that displays the list of dashboards. However, when I click on a particular dashboard to view it, I get the "

Insufficient Privileges

You do not have the level of access necessary to perform the operationyou requested. Please contact the owner of the record or youradministrator if access is necessary."

message. 

ReidCReidC

Is this based on a new custom object you created?

By default all new objects are not visible to any profile.

Also, you can't modify a standard profile -- you have to create a custom one.  So you're FFE User, you'd have to create a new profile, select Force.com Free User as the base, and then enable access to the custom objects you created.

Have you already done that? If not it will give you the insufficient privs.

It is a new custom object.

I have cloned the FFE user profile and enabled access to the new custom object.

ReidCReidC
Hmmm.  Ok I'm running into the same thing.  Let me double check with the product manager.  Will update here for sure when I know. 

that sounds great thanks. This is my last options.

Thanks

Chris  

Alan.MarcusAlan.Marcus

Reid - I am running into the same problem.  Is there any update?

Thanks..

ReidCReidC
I walked to the product manager through the situtation and we're taking a deeper look.  No update yet -- will post as soon as I can.  Thanks!
DianeMDianeM

When you check for the free license, can you also check for the Platform license.  I have an app that only needs a platform license.  I have a dashboard in the app and when I log in as the system administrator, I see the dashboard.  When I log in as a platform user I can see the dashboard section on my home page but when I click on the customize page, I get the following message.

Please have your administrator enable at least one dashboard for you to view.

The dashboards and the underlying reports are in a public folder.  The running user is the system administrator - not sure what else I need to do to enable the dashboard so it can be seen.

Thanks,

Diane

ReidCReidC

Force.com Free Edition **CAN** have dashboards.

The limitation here is around the dashboard's running user.

If the running user is a system admin, with access to CRM objects, FREE users will fails because they do not have rights to the CRM objects.  Hence the insufficient privileges message.

If the running user is a FREE user, it will work just fine.  See attached screenshot as an example of a simple dashboard.

So, in order to make your dashboards work, edit them, click edit properties and change the running user.