function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
datkinsondatkinson 

Creating a trigger for custom object

I have created a custom object. As per the documentation, to create a trigger it says go to Setup | Create | Objects. When I go to the triggers section there is no "new" button??? How do you create a trigger please? 
kamlesh_chauhankamlesh_chauhan

You can do apex development only in developer edition or sandbox account. Please login to your sandbox account and create trigger on that account. you can then deploy it to your production account from sandbox.

datkinsondatkinson

I have signed up for a developer edition but it still does not show "new" button. How do you create a sandbox? I am new to Force but why is the documentation so poor. I have searched the whole site and nowhere does it mention in the APEX docs on creating a trigger that you need to use a "sandbox" or how to create one.

I have been evaluating a similar product called Longjump and it is a breeze to use by comparison. Salesforce has also not answered one of my email queries - even the one about upgrading to a paid subscrioption.

WYamWYam

Setup --> Create --> Objects --> Click into the name of the object

In my dev org, it's the 5th related list after Validation Rules and before Standard Buttons and Links

Scott JorgensenScott Jorgensen

@datkinson, you can write Apex code in developer edition without using a Sandbox.  Browse to Setup=>Develop=>Apex Classes and the New button should be there.  If not look at the top of your browser window and make sure it says "Developer Edition" (and not some other edition).

Developer Edition is very similar to a Sandbox in that both are used to develop Apex and Visualforce.

If you want a reference in the Apex Docs on how to write Apex in a Sandbox and then use Cloud Deploy to publish it into a production environment just check out the Development Lifecycle Guide:

http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Documentation#Development_on_Force.com 

I'm curious to know what LongJump did so well to make things a breeze for you.  If you'd like to share your ideas about how Force.com could be better and have them considered by the Force.com Product Managers you can post them to the IdeaExchange:

http://sites.force.com/ideaexchange/ideaList?c=09a30000000D9xt&category=Force.com+Platform&sort=popular

If you are interested in having a paid subscriptions just call 1-800-NOSOFTWARE or grab a trial account and click the "Subscribe Now" button to purchase online. 

NephostackNephostack

I have a the same issue. I dont see a "new" button to create a trigger. Can some one guide me please??

matt2000matt2000

The thing that tripped me up as a newb was that you have to click the custom object's name, NOT the 'edit' link, to get to the page where you can add triggers. :-P