function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
GSBassoGSBasso 

Discrepancy in test methods run when deploying via Eclipse plugin vs. Migration Tool

When I deploy to our production instance using the Migration Tool it appears that test methods in managed packages are being run.

When I deploy to the same instance using the Eclipse plugin test methods in managed packages are not run.

I know this because a test method in one of the managed packages is failing. As such, deployments through the Migration Tool also fail.

How is this possible, since both ultimately rely on the Metadata Web Services API?

Or how can I prevent test methods in managed packages from running when using the Migration Tool?

This was observed using v16, v17 and v18 of the Migration Tool.

The Eclipse plugin used was v16.

-Gino

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
GSBassoGSBasso

After further experimentation it seems the trick is to set runAllTests to false when deploying to a Prod instance using the Migration Tool.

This is somewhat contrary to the documentation, which effectively states that runAllTests is ignored when deploying to a Prod instance.

One can only surmise that the Eclipse plugin must be setting runAllTests based on the target instance.

-Gino