function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
newbie2010newbie2010 

Custom Button Help!!

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this so hopefully somebody will see it here and be able to help.

Can you make a program that is open on your computer active and pass a value to it using a button on an account?

*werewolf**werewolf*

There's not an easy way to do that.  In general, that's not something you can do from a web browser.

The exception is programs that happen to register protocol handlers, like Skype's callto:// handler.  So there you can make links that say "callto://4155551212" and Skype will fire itself up and dial that number.  But that's really the only way you can do it, with a program like that and a browser plugin and stuff.  Or a signed Java applet.  None of these are simple.

newbie2010newbie2010

What if the program is already up and running on your computer?  I can understand not being able to open a new program, but I would think there would be a way to switch to a window that is currently open on your computer.  Isn't the protocol handler you mention for Skype bascially a plugin to IE?  You will have to excuse my lack of knowledge for the correct terms.

Thanks for your help!!

*werewolf**werewolf*
Strictly speaking, a protocol handler does not have to involve a browser plugin, but it's not easy to make one nonetheless. In Skype's case they do have a plugin, which in IE parlance is known as a BHO. In any case, you can't just spawn a program on your OS whether it's running or not. However if there's a file type associated with that program, then you can download a file that will open in it, kind of like how when you download a PPT file, PowerPoint starts up and shows your PPT.