function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JimHobJimHob 

Case Escalation Rules or Workflow?

Hi all,

First I'm new to SF administration and development.

I'm trying to get some basic case escalation setup for our users.  We have a required field due date that users enter when setting up a case.  I would like to remind the user that the case is due 2 days prior to the due date and then escalate the case to a manager 1 day after the due date if it is not completed. 

Some basic questions-

Are escalation rules run daily?

Does a case have to be modified for the escalation to take place?

Is there a way to test this in my sandbox without having to wait a day?

Under Customize->Cases->Support Settings what is 'Early Triggers Enabled: Use this setting to enable early triggers on escalation rules? 

So what would be best practices for this type of solution?  Timed Workflow or Escalation rules?

Thanks,

Jim

cl0s3rcl0s3r

The workflow is triggered when a case is created or editited. This would be an escalation rule. You are basically giving a time frame to a case before performing an additional action like esclating to someone else.

JimHobJimHob

Hi cl0s3r thanks for the quick reply!

From what I've been reading this could be accomplished with Time-Dependant Workflow as well. 

I've been unable to get it to work properly in my sandbox using escalation rules.

Do you know how often they run?  The minimum is 30 minutes but 30 minutes after what?  :)

Thanks again,

Jim

ssgmailssgmail

Ecalation rules are not enabled in the sandbox (The esclations are queued, but not executed.)

Issue with using the time dependent workflows is that they cannot use the business hours.