function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
King KooKing Koo 

Prototype question 3 - different layout on Insert versus Update

Hi guys

I've been working on a prototype project - and here are some requirements that I have from a client.  Rather than putting them all into one question, I am going to split them up into three questions, as they cover different aspects of Salesforce's features (or limitations rather, until I have a solution).

This is about a system that tracks some Work Orders.

When the user is creating a new work order, I only want to show fields 1 to 10, and they are all editable, and some are required and some are not.

Once saved, and when the user wants to edit it, now fields 1 to 8 are read-only, and I'll also need to start showing fields 11 to 20.

So basically, my question is, I need to show a form and the form will look different when the user is creating a work order versus when the user is updating an existing work order - some fields are no longer editable, and some fields only show in edit mode not in insert mode.

Is it possible, and if so, how?  

Thank you so much.

King

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
AmitSahuAmitSahu

You can try setting default record type as insert for the users. In that case the users will go directly with the insert record type

All Answers

King KooKing Koo

BTW, this is a proof of concept exercise to prove to the clients that Salesforce development time is a lot less than conventional development tools, so a non-Apex or non-Visualforce solution is preferred, if possible.

Thanks

King

AmitSahuAmitSahu

1. You can create two different record types and two page layouts fot them. Once page layout has 1to 10 fields on that and other layout has 1 to 8 as readonly and other as editable.

You can then create a trigger or may be workflow that will change the record type of the record and user sees what you want based on the record type.

2. You can create your own VF page  and override the edit and view buttons to point to the VF page you want.

King KooKing Koo

Hi J

I thought that would be the direction I'm looking for too, but I think I need a little more specifics.

Let's say i have 2 record type, let's say one called "insert" and one called "edit".

Can I enforce (without coding) that when the user clicks "New", that the record type is "insert" (so the user won't see the screen to select a record type)?  If it's possible, then I think I can manage to change the record type to "edit" with a workflow.

It's the insert part that I'm struggling with.

Thanks

King

AmitSahuAmitSahu

You can try setting default record type as insert for the users. In that case the users will go directly with the insert record type

This was selected as the best answer
King KooKing Koo

Yup, I got it working the way I want now.

(Too bad this is the easiest of the 3 questions I had asked.....)

Thanks.