function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
kim.stiteskim.stites 

Update Parent Account

What would be the best way to update a parent account based on a picklist field on the child account?  I have a child account with International in a territory picklist and I want to update the parent account field with a checkbox showing there is a International child account.

sanjdevsanjdev

Hi,

You might be able to do something with a Rollup Summary field and a Formula Field or a Workflow Rule.  If the both object have a M-D relationship you could create a  Rollup Summary Field that returns something like the COUNT of Custom Object with Status = Valid, or a MAX End Date of the Child Object.  Then you could evaluate this in a Formula or (maybe) a WFR and display something on the Account to indicate the Account License status.

kim.stiteskim.stites

Parent Account is a standard SFDC field on the Account that doesn't drive a parent-child relationship other than linking accounts together in a hierarchy.  This is why I cannot create a summary roll-up field for it.

SF7SF7

I know for sure u cannot use workflow because your account should be edited for workflow to fire so you should go with trigger.

But simple solution would be 

you can do it with a formula field  but can you tell little more details . I am little bit confused with what happens if there are 10 child records for that paqrent and so many childern have the sam picklist value which value should parent read. And are you talking about hierarchies in account or a account object and its related lists 

kim.stiteskim.stites

I am talking about heirarchies within an account.  We have a territory picklist on all accounts but I would want to have the associated parent account updated to have a intl status checkbox checked if any of the associated child accounts have INTL in the territory picklist.  These accounts are all associated throught the Parent Account standard lookup field on the Account object.

SF7SF7

hmm .i think we can do something with formula field , i am trying but could not get a solution .

kim.stiteskim.stites

I appreciate it.  I am trying any suggestions!