function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
KIRONKUMARKKIRONKUMARK 

Whats the use of 'STARTS WITH VOWEL SOUND' check box while creating OBJECT

Whats the use of 'STARTS WITH VOWEL SOUND' check box while creating OBJECT

Navatar_DbSupNavatar_DbSup

Hi,

I would like to take A MINUTE to explain it; however it might actually take AN HOUR.

I was attacked by A LION; I wish it had been AN ANTEATER.

In this case, if I had written "A HOUR", and a speaker tried to pronounce it, the first vowel sound would run into the second and make it harder to pronounce and understand.    Same for "A ANTEATER".

This is English by the way, I have no idea how it applies (or doesn't) to other languages.  The A/An decision is based on phonetics as opposed to spelling.  So, "... depending on the first character" isn't strictly speaking as true as if it said "... depending on the first phoneme".

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved. 

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

That checkbox, by the way, only applies in English. If you use a Spanish-based language, for example, it would ask for masculinity/femininity:

English: The owl sat on the tree.
Spanish: La lechuza estaba sentado en el árbol.

In here, the word "the" in front of owl is "la", the feminine form, and "the" in front of car is "el", the masculine form.

So, if your org had two objects, "lechza" and "árbol", they would be properly prefixed with "la" or "el" when used in the UI, such as the reporting interface.

This setting is just used to make the word "substitutable" when used with indefinite articles (like what Navatar said) in the UI, so it doesn't read awkwardly for users using that language.

craigmhcraigmh

It's the difference between an umbrella and a unicycle.

SALES FORCE 281SALES FORCE 281
@sfdcfox
Actually where this difference is used in salesforce and why we need to differentiate it .