function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sfdc_syedsfdc_syed 

What is the major difference b/w is null and is blank?

Hi All,

Can anyone tell What is the major difference b/w is null and is blank?

Thanks

Navatar_DbSupNavatar_DbSup

Hi,

Please refer the below link 

http://salesforceapexcodecorner.blogspot.com/2011/06/diffrence-between-isnull-and-isblank.html

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved

Nitin B 2Nitin B 2
Hi Syed,

I will try to explain it to you in a way I understood it. Hope it helps.

IS BLank:

Its a function whcich validates whether the field has some value or not. Value can be some digit( 0-9), alphabet( a-z A-Z), special character ( %,$,--). If your  field contains any of them then this function will return  false. If it contains Blank (" ") or no value then it will return True.

ISNULL:

This function will consider BLank (" ") as some value. And if your field has Blank(" ") then it will return false considering 'Blank' also as some value.

Further Explanation:
  • Use ISBLANK instead of ISNULL in new formulas. ISBLANK has the same functionality as ISNULL, but also supports text fields. Salesforce will continue to support ISNULL, so you do not need to change any existing formulas.
  • A field is not empty if it contains a character, blank space, or zero. For example, a field that contains a space inserted with the spacebar is not empty.
  • Use the BLANKVALUE function to return a specified string if the field does not have a value; use the ISBLANK function if you only want to check if the field has a value.
  • If you use this function with a numeric field, the function only returns TRUE if the field has no value and is not configured to treat blank fields as zeroes.

Thanks!