function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ken_KoellnerKen_Koellner 

Text vs. Text Area Long

I have a field that's simple text but I might want to go longer than 255.  I take it he only alternative is Text Area Long.

Are there any repercussions or limitations I may run into in using Text Area Long intead of Text?

I noticed I must make it at least two lines in page layouts (although when I picked 2, I still got 3).

Is there anything else I might run into?

Any programmatic differences when working with values in Apex?

MarkSilberMarkSilber

Here's a few long text field limitations that come to mind, although there are probably more.

* You can't make the field an external ID

* You can't use them as search filter fields

* Can't use them as search criteria in reports or list views

* When searching using Advanced Search, only the first 2048 characters are searched

* There are some limits to the # of characters that will display in a list or report

My advice is to use a standard text field if at all possible if you intend to do any sort of filtering or other functions.
fgwarb_1fgwarb_1

Mark Silber wrote:

Here's a few long text field limitations that come to mind, although there are probably more.

* You can't make the field an external ID

* You can't use them as search filter fields

* Can't use them as search criteria in reports or list views

* When searching using Advanced Search, only the first 2048 characters are searched

* There are some limits to the # of characters that will display in a list or report

My advice is to use a standard text field if at all possible if you intend to do any sort of filtering or other functions.

I think they can be used as report filters now