function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ForceUserForceUser 

Web-to-Update?

I have a web-to-lead form in place (modified since I'm using php to validate the fields and then CURL to pass the values into Salesforce.com). Is there a web-to-update method I can use to update fields for individual records? On our self-service portal is a link back to our site. I'd like to track use of this link. Actually I'd like to track when a user clicks on a link within our site after following the link from the salesforce self service portal. I'd like to track this in salesforce. I have found I can pass the user email from salesforce into the page on our site. I would like to then update a field in salesforce if the user clicks on certain links on our site. This would be updating one user at a time. I found information on doing an update via a csv file while logged into salesforce but I didn't see anything similar to a web-to-lead that would allow me to do individual updates. Could someone point me in the right direction. Is this possible? Is it possible to do a web based update from outside salesforce.com? A method to update leads or contacts?
snugglessnuggles

hi ForceUser,

The web-to-x functionality in salesforce is handy and probably the quickest way to get data into your system, but there is also a full Web Services API that can be used to do data updates.  Web-to-x bypasses the need for credetials and just inserts some new records, which it looks like you are beyond at this point.  The web services API will let you make updates to specific records and gives you much more flexibility than web-to-x.  there is lots of information about the webservices api throughout developer.force.com, look at documentation for starters.

rstrazzrstrazz

Would like to ask if there's a way to do this without upgrading to enterprise... wanting to update a lead after insertion is valuable....but the upgrade is:

1 user Pro - $780/yr.

1 user Enterprise - $1500/yr.

That is also not counting the time to develop against the API to update the lead... I hope I'm wrong...:)

snugglessnuggles
ouch, that would be a large step to take.  i know certified packages can allow pro-edition orgs to use their API for things that are part of the app.  maybe you could check the app exchange for somethign that could help you out.  might be a cost there too but it could be less than an upgrade.