function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
crusoeda12crusoeda12 

How to build the following object structure?

Greetings all, 

I'm building an application with a modestly more interesting object structure that I've attempted in the past, and would love your thoughts about how to accomplish it. The database will help us develop free math learning tools for elementary and middle school kids (we're a SF Foundation-supported 501(c)(3)).

Diagram

Here's a simple schematic [pdf link], and what follows is a description:

Mathematical Operations: Has a many-to-many connector with Concepts, Relations, Properties.  

Mathematical Concepts:Has a many-to-many connector relation with Operations.

Mathematical Relations: Has a many-to-many connector relation with Operations. 

Mathematical Properties: Has a many-to-many connector relation with Operations. 

Test Scores: Currently has a lookup relation to Operations, Concepts, Relations and Properties.  

Bugs: Currently has a lookup relation to Operations, Concepts, Relations and Properties.

Our Challenge:

It turns out that we also need for Test Scores to have a many-to-many relationship with all core objects (Operations, Concepts, Relations, Properties). However, it seems that each object can only have a single Master-Detail relationship -- is this the case?

If so, is there any way we can accomplish this diagram?

Thanks!

--Dave 

kingkong94538kingkong94538

One way is to create seperate objects and then set up triggers on each object to autopopulate ids for other objects. Basically, you'll be creating a visual force application. The default salesforce functionality does not allow this.

davecrusodavecruso

Hrmm, thanks.... maybe there's a better way to accomplish this than the method I've diagrammed out above... any suggestions for modifying the structure around?

I don't want to get too non-standard, since eventually, we'll have to create reports on the data. The weirder the workaround...  

kingkong94538kingkong94538

The object structure is based on the underlying business needs.

You can start with the reports that you'll be producing on the data...based on which you can modify the relationships.