function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DCSDCS 

Dtatype ' Lookup(Contact,Lead)'

I have a requirement where I need to send sample requests to Contact or Lead which is achieved with a 'Sample Request' custom object with look up relationship to 'Contact' as well as 'Lead'. There will a 'Sample Request' button in the Contact Page and also one on the Lead Page. When user clicks on Sample Request from Contact, I should show only Contact look up whereas when it comes from Lead, it should show only the Lead look up. I had to create 2 page layouts to accomplish this and assign unique record types  for the 'Sample Request' custom object.

I am wondering if this can be achieved similar to how 'Name' field works in 'Task' UI. In 'Task' standard object there is field called name which is of datatype ' Lookup(Contact,Lead)  ' This provides a UI which  contains  a dropdown with 'Lead' or 'Contact' values together with a text field and a lookup icon.

Doing some research I do not think this is a standard feature available.

If this can be done, I need only one page layout.

Any suggestions

jkucerajkucera

Short answer - you can't duplicate the Task type WhoId which points to multiple objects.

However, this sounds a lot like CampaignMember minus the campaign - that approach might help as we auto-filter to show only the lead or contact info.  Maybe you could use a dummy campaign and relable the lists "Sample request"?

Also, in the next release (June 2010), we'll be enabling lead & contact fields in campaign member formula fields.

bbachbbach

Has there been any change on this answer?  I am trying to create a simple "Web Quote Request" object that can be attached to either a lead or a contact.  The idea being that this new custom object would act as a sort of "opportunity lead", and once qualified it would be converted into standard opportunity or merged with an existing opportunity.

The record type idea with multiple page layouts sounds like a viable work around, but I am not sure it is the best way to go.  It would be nice to have a 'Lookup(Contact,Lead)' option much like tasks works.

Also, I am not sure what would happen to the custom object once the lead has been converted. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

DDG_LJUDDG_LJU

Bump!

Sell Your ForceSell Your Force

There is a 2 level lookup from task to lead.