function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dbirlemdbirlem 

How would you build an estimation generator?

I've been building 2 objects that relate each other for building a PDF of an estimate, ultimately. What I first did was create an item, with an item object, then be able to rapidly create estimates picking and pulling from the item object, including grand totals and generating a list view of all the items. Is this the best way to approach building something like this?

Additionally, there are considerations for units of measurement as multipliers. For example, there's an item listed measured in linear footage, that would come multiplied when specified.

I also thought of making an estimate, with a bunch of lookup fields into the items object, and then formulate a report that would lookup information through the estimation object extending into the items object.

Message Edited by dbirlem on 03-19-2010 11:50 AM
Ispita_NavatarIspita_Navatar

I could not fully understand your scenario , let me check with you if I have understood it correctly. You have an Item object and an Estimate object-

You are running summary on "items" to generate "Estimate" object instance.

Also Items (object) may be connected to Estimate object via look-ups.

Ideally you should have :-

1. Estimate as Parent object (Master)
2. Item as Child

Adding children "Item" to "Estimate" will automatically generate the summary estimate.

Please do clarify so that I may answer you more accurately.