function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Tin013Tin013 

Apex Data loader

I have an opportunity object and a custom object called members. On both objects, I have custom fileds called Original_ID set as an ID field of external system. Members object has a look up field to Opportunity object.

When I load up  the data into opportunity object, all went perfectly fine.

I am just wondering what's the best way to load up the data into the Members object without having do downad all the SF opportunity ID and put those in the relevant members data before upload?

Otherwise the system wouldn't know which members belong to which opportuity?

Hope it makes sense.

Thanks, 

SwapnaSwapna

I dont think there is any other way of doing this. (Please correct me if Im wrong)

We usually extract the Id and the External Id fields. Do a vlookup in excel and get the corresponding opportunity ids in the child object.

Please let us know if you find any other alternative

Thanks

Swapna

Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

Alternatively you can use external unique id. An external ID is a custom field that has the “External ID” attribute, meaning that it contains unique record identifiers from a system outside of Salesforce.com. When you select this option, the import wizard will detect existing records in Salesforce.com that have the same external ID. Note that this operation is not case-sensitive.

For example, “ABC” will be matched with “abc”.

However, there is an exception: if the custom field has the separate “Unique” attribute and the case-sensitive option for that attribute is selected, uppercase and lowercase letters will not be considered identical.

If necessary, scan and standardize your external ID values before performing the import to prevent unintended matches.

When matching by external ID, if the import wizard finds duplicate records, only the first three duplicate records are reported to you in the confirmation email.