function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
amilleramiller 

Removing Person Account Record Type

Hello All,

I would like to completely remove person accounts (the objects and record types) from salesforce

The Persona Account structure is not used and was enabled by an earlier Dev.

Having all the extra Fields shown when editing lists or reports is confusing my users

I have tried deleteing the person Account record types but it says either i don't have the permissions (I am the SysAdmin) or that i can't remove the last active record type.

Thanks

Amiller

TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

You cant just turn off Person Accounts once its been released.

But, why dont you just remove that record type from their profiles? Then they wont be able to create those.

PB

Cloud on FireCloud on Fire
TrimbleAg's suggestion is probably your best bet if you need to stay in this org. Your other option if it isn't too much work is to create a brand new org and then migrate your data to it. I hear this is a popular solution for those who want to get off Person Accounts.
amilleramiller

So when moving to a new Org can the record IDs be matained?

Or do i have to reassociate all the records?

Basicly can i recreate the Structure and then just do an export from old and import to new?

Thanks

TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

No the ID's do not stay the same... The reccomendation of a new org is pretty extreme when its as simple as removing the recordtypes from the profiles of your users. 

PB

TrimbleAg's right. Ids not not maintained. You would need to create an external id field, which would persist and use that.

I agree moving to a new org is extreme but for someone just working in development or even production if there isn't that much data it would be a better move in the long run.

The problem of the ids and maintaining relationships is one I have when refreshing dev or config sandboxes and then wanting to reinsert test data.

@TrimbleAg, will changing the record type hide the fields in the field list? Or when they will go customize > accounts > fields they will still see all the person account fields? Because it sounds like one of amiller's problems is users who go to the fields page to update picklists getting confused with the extra fields. So if the answer is no, then migration may have to be the answer.

Also is records were created as Person Account records and not Business Account and Contact records, then you will have to convert the records from PA to BA and Contact. There are posts on these forums about doing that. As I recall it's not so simple.

amilleramiller

I think I have removed the record types where possible, the user is not asked to select a record type when creating a new account. Is there some where else I need to removed it from?

The biggest problem I have is users being confused by all the extra fields (often duplicate) when creating a new view or a new report. Is there any why to hide those fields? I have tried to find a way with Field Level security but I can't find a location for the person account fields

Thanks

There aren't Person Account fields perse. A person account is really a fusion of Account and Contact, so all of the fields are just either Account fields or Contact fields fused into one quasi-object.

Have you set the profiles to only use the business account record type and page layouts?

TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

No the fields stay the same, 90% of standard fields apply to both Business/Person Accounts... Go to the record type under customization for P/A accounts and determine what fields have values for that record type, if they do not apply to your B/A accounts, you can delete them (After Backing them up of course, CYA).

amilleramiller

Basicly i don't want the address, phone and other contact fields to show when looking at a list of Account Fields either for View or report creation

TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

You do know that Phone/Address are standard fields, right? Only fields with the person account picture next to them are person account create fields...

TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

And if you have the Drop and Drag report builder turned on, its clearly marked that its for Person accounts. (Mobile/Salutation/Ect)

Any fields there that does not start with Person Account, is a standard field.

PB

amilleramiller

Ok Bad choice of fields :)

but yes i would like to remove or at least hide the person fields (with the picture)

it causes duplictie entries when creating reports that join to the contact object.

In the end it sounds like I am SOL with out going to a new org and all the headaches that would cause

Thank you to everyone that responded

amiller