function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Amit SinhaAmit Sinha 

Use of Record Types for setting up various teams

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find out what are the industry best practices around using different record types, we have a couple of teams who want to use SFDC case management and i am trying to find out what is best way to set them up, should I use 1 record type for each team or should I use a custom team field with other pick list dependent on it.

Can anyone comment on what would make more sense in terms of being able to report on case volumes later by each teams. Also what could be some potential issue of using mulitple record type (one for each team) v/s single record types. 

Thanks

Amit

@anilbathula@@anilbathula@

Hi

You can go for record types when you want to hide some fields for some teams ,

And show up some parcticular fileds for other teams then in these case u can use recordtypes.

If all the team members will have same set of fields visible in all record types then no use of record types.

And if u want u can mange with single record type with picklist containg different values for all the teams.

Amit SinhaAmit Sinha

Hi Anil,

Thanks for a quick reply. 

I am leaning towards using multiple record types but that would mean more admin work and every time I enable case management for a team the effort required to set them up would be higher than adding a new value to a field(say team field) and make other picklist dependent on them.

I would like to know what are other companies doing in this case.  Are they using a new record type everytime they set up a new group in salesforce ?

On the other hand if i go with the approach of using 1 record type would that create an issue when I enable other Service cloud functionalities like CTI / Entitlements / etc.  Would using one record type  force me to enable these functionality for all the users that use same record type even though they are on different teams (based on the team field I mentioned earlier). 

Thanks

Amit 

@anilbathula@@anilbathula@

Hi 

You are correct .creating record types is typical then adding values in picklist.

And that seeems to be wrong practice because there is a limit of record types in the object.

And it wont look good after you cross 25 or 30 recortypes the look and feel of the apllication will be changed.

So go for dependent picklist here also there is a limit but better than record types.

Standard functionality will support all types of integrations.