function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
WhattyWhatty 

HTTP callout to existing C# application passing contact ID

I am trying to integrate some dashboards from an existing C# ASP.net application into the contacts dashboard as a new section.

In a non-Salesforce world I would accomplish this using  a standard HTTP request passing the current Contact ID to my application with the resulting HTTP page being displayed in an iFrame. 

How do I accomplish this in Salesforce?

I am very new to Salesforce so if I am using the wrong or misleading terminology please excuse me.

If the answer is RTFM - please direct me to exactly which documentation I should start with.

Thanks in advance.

Whatty

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Scott_VSScott_VS

I am a little confused about what you mean by the "contacts dashboard", but when you are viewing the record of a single object in Salesforces, you can add an inline Visualforce page to the layout to inject HTML onto the page.

You can Google documentation for creating  "Visualforce Pages" and editing "page layouts", but the gist is that you will create a visualforce page with this code:

<apex:page standardController="Contact">
    <iframe src="http://www.yoursite.com/whatever.html?ContactId={!Contact.Id}"></iframe>
</apex:page>

Note that you get the ContactId from the {!Contact.Id} syntax.

Then you open up the page layout editor for Contacts, look at the Visualforce tab on the top menu, and drag-and-drop your VF page to the layout.

All Answers

Scott_VSScott_VS

I am a little confused about what you mean by the "contacts dashboard", but when you are viewing the record of a single object in Salesforces, you can add an inline Visualforce page to the layout to inject HTML onto the page.

You can Google documentation for creating  "Visualforce Pages" and editing "page layouts", but the gist is that you will create a visualforce page with this code:

<apex:page standardController="Contact">
    <iframe src="http://www.yoursite.com/whatever.html?ContactId={!Contact.Id}"></iframe>
</apex:page>

Note that you get the ContactId from the {!Contact.Id} syntax.

Then you open up the page layout editor for Contacts, look at the Visualforce tab on the top menu, and drag-and-drop your VF page to the layout.

This was selected as the best answer
WhattyWhatty

Having done some further reading that is exactly what I was looking for - thanks

Took me a while to get through the documentation and eventually land up on vfPage with the iFrame element, but thanks nonetheless.