function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jStarkjStark 

Instrumentation for Force platform

Hello everyone!

I'm working on instrumentation for my custom app and I was wondering if the Force platform had anything that we can tap into, or if anyone knew of good 3rd party software compatible with Force.com. We have our in-house systems covered, and we can implement something for the strictly client-side operations, but I need to trace through all the Apex calls as well.

I did a quick search of the boards, blogs, and AppExchange but nothing jumped out at me.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jed

*werewolf**werewolf*

Well there is the built-in testMethod capability and runTests in the API.  I presume you're already using those if you've written a lot of Apex?

*werewolf**werewolf*

Or by "instrumentation" do you mean something like step-through debugging support?  As of this writing there's nothing yet that can do that for Apex.  Would be nice though.

jStarkjStark

I am mostly looking for the ability to capture different kinds of usage metrics. Things like tracing a transaction and timings as well as debug support for tracking areas of traffic, etc. There's a company called New Relic that offers a solution for this for in-house systems. They've also partnered with other platform companies such as Heroku, but they are not partnered with Salesforce.

This is just one of the drawbacks of choosing to use a cloud development platform: instrumentation becomes extremely complex. I'll keep doing some research and update this thread with anything I find.

Thanks for the replies Werewolf!