function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
saasmaintsaasmaint 

Question on Sequence of Field Updates in a Workflow

I need help understanding what determines the sequence in which multiple field updates tied to a single workflow rules would execute.  I understand that I can turn on the debug log and see the order in which they get executed.  Is it possible that the same configuration setup in two different orgs could result in a different order in which the field updates run?

The problem I'm having is that I am trying to update multiple values on a parent record in an M/D relationship.  I had to write the formulas in the field updates differently because in org A, three updates ran in 1, 2, 3 order whereas in Org B, they ran in 3, 2, 1 order.  Is this really possible or is it a result of other changes that I have made.

If you search help and find the question, "In what order are automation rules and Apex triggers processed?", in the Additional Notes section there is a comment stating "There is no way to control the order of execution WITHIN each group..."

Any input is most appreciated.

*werewolf**werewolf*

There is no deterministic order in which field updates are processed.  You can consider them to be processed in parallel, so whichever finishes first finishes first.