function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ek0nomikEk0nomik 

How to send e-mail to case contact when a comment is added?

I am thinking I'm going to have to do a little hack to make this work, but, before I go down that path, I wanted to see if anyone here knew of a better solution to this.

I am trying to send an e-mail to the case contact when a new case comment is created.  I thought this was going to be easy, but, the related contact value of the recipient dropdown never has any available recipients.

Is my only option to create a workflow rule on Case Comments that updates some arbitrary field on the Case, and then have a workflow set up on the Case that just watches for a change in value on that arbitrary field?

Thanks for any input

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Ek0nomikEk0nomik

When a case comment is added to a case, I want to e-mail the contact on the case.  However, when creating an e-mail alert workflow task on the case comment object, you are not given access to the the related case contact.  Right now I think I am going to write an Apex Trigger to do the task of sending the e-mail instead of creating a hack of workflows.  But, I am open to other ideas.

All Answers

Suresh RaghuramSuresh Raghuram

write a field updated workflow that when the commented field updated or inserted send an email.

If this answers your question , make this as asolution

Ek0nomikEk0nomik

Suree,

I can't do that directly on the Case Comment object.  When you create an e-mail alert for Case Comments, you are not given access to the related contact.

could you please explain the scenario little more, so that i will come up with a solution.

Ek0nomikEk0nomik

When a case comment is added to a case, I want to e-mail the contact on the case.  However, when creating an e-mail alert workflow task on the case comment object, you are not given access to the the related case contact.  Right now I think I am going to write an Apex Trigger to do the task of sending the e-mail instead of creating a hack of workflows.  But, I am open to other ideas.

This was selected as the best answer

if it is a crossobject functionality then better to opt for the trigger.