function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
inertiainertia 

Dependency Fields

How do I create a Dependency between a Picklist Field (i.e., Stage) and a Date Field (i.e., Drop Down Calendar). I am trying to create a dependant relationship so that if my salesperson has reached a specfic stage in the sales process he/she is required to enter a Date. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

snugglessnuggles
Use a custom validation rule.  you can build a formula to check if stage = this or stage = that, and dateField = null, throw a validation error.
inertiainertia
Thank you. Is the custom validation rule created the Field or somewhere else?
snugglessnuggles
If it was the opportunity object, for example, go to SETUP--> CUSTOMIZE--> OPPORTUNITY-->VALIDATOIN RULES.  If it is a custom object go to SETUP-->CREATE-->OBJECTS, click on the object, then click new under the validation rules related list.  Validation rules are done at the object level.  (you can do some required field stuff on the page layout too, but for this, a validation rule is your best bet).
MarkSilberMarkSilber

Not sure if you were able to build the validation rule yet, but it would look something like this:

AND(OR(ISPICKVAL(Stage, "My First Stage"), ISPICKVAL(Stage, "My Second Stage")), ISNULL(MyCustomDateField__c))

Message Edited by Mark Silber on 08-01-2009 07:48 AM