function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
iatschuckiatschuck 

Decrypting custom encrypted field

I have a custom encrypted field that is used to store password in safesforce db. I would like to know how I can decrypt the data that is stored in custom encrypted field.

Thanks

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
NasipuriNasipuri

No, you wil not be able to do that , as decropted value as not available as merge field or through API .

thanks,

Dinesh Nasipuri

All Answers

NasipuriNasipuri
Hi , Once you activate Encrypted field in Salesforce.com , In salesforce.com profile there will be a permission called "View Encrypted Data" .  Go to SetUp --> administration setup --> Manage User --> Profile . for the profile enable the "View Encrypted Data" permission then the user with the corresponding profile can view the decrypted data. The decryoted value is can only be seen from the Salesforce.com UI , it is not available through the API. Thanks,Dinesh Nasipuri

Dinesh.Nasipuri@gmail.com

iatschuckiatschuck

I am System Administrator but I cannot enable "View Encrypted Data"  Do I need to ask salesforce to enable it for me?

Thanks

NasipuriNasipuri

This is not editable property for Standard Profiles.

You clone your "System Admin " profile to have a new custom profile and enable this option.

Assign this new custom profile to the corresponding user .

Thanks,

Dinesh Nasiupuri

Dinesh.Nasipuri@gmail.com

iatschuckiatschuck

Thank you for your answer. Now I can see the data in encrypted field.

I created a SObject, which has an encrypted field for password. I want to mark the password meanwhile I need the decrypted password sent via S-control page for my company's server. Will I be able to do it?

Thanks

Message Edited by iatschuck on 08-18-2009 02:56 PM
NasipuriNasipuri

No, you wil not be able to do that , as decropted value as not available as merge field or through API .

thanks,

Dinesh Nasipuri

This was selected as the best answer
iatschuckiatschuck

I checked with other application in appExchange, I saw some app can have the encrypted custom field and they are able to decrypt it then process the payment. for example, Chargent Payment Processing

Do you know how they do it?

Thanks

SuperfellSuperfell
I think the API respects the same profile permission as the UI.