function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
samthakur74samthakur74 

Bulk Upload custom objects

Hello,

I am using the bulk upload code described at http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api_asynch/.

The only difference is that i am uploading a custom object type. The object has been defined in SalesForce. But when i refer to the object (named Employee) i get error "Unable to find object: Employee". Tried with Employee_c as well. Same result. 

Any pointers would be appreciated

thank you

Sameer

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
WinningJrWinningJr

You only typed one "_" in your posting.  I think there is always two - "Employee__c".

I'm just curious why you are using the REST web service instead of the the APEX Data Loader.  Is this for continuous integration with another app?

-Gerry

All Answers

WinningJrWinningJr

You only typed one "_" in your posting.  I think there is always two - "Employee__c".

I'm just curious why you are using the REST web service instead of the the APEX Data Loader.  Is this for continuous integration with another app?

-Gerry

This was selected as the best answer
samthakur74samthakur74

Thank you Gerry. That was the issue!

We are checking out various integration scenarios. The one in question here is transfer of bulk data from an application within the network (on premise) to Force.com, which is on a public ip. The only way to get through the firewall and DMZ would be via http i.e REST/SOAP webservice.

I understand the Apex dataloader would be faster.

Do you agree?

Thank you

SAmeer

WinningJrWinningJr

I'm not sure.  I'm dumping my initial data to a .csv and usig the apex data loader to do the initial load. It uses SOAP/Rest to do the load, so the .csv file is local to the machine that has the Data Loader running on it.  It uses SOAP by default instead or REST, but it seems very fast.   I'm then using the SOAP API to do hourly updates of data from our back end application.

For a one time initial load, the APEX Data load took seconds to figure out (took me longer to create the .csv of the data).   I have yet to figure out the REST API.

-Gerry

samthakur74samthakur74

I understand now. Using the data loader for a one time insert makes much more sense! I will try to do the same. I did not know data loader uses soap and hence i would not have fireall issues. Thank you for putting me on the correct track!

regards

Sameer