function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jashmanthjashmanth 

facing probem to convert the existing object from lookup field to master-field reationship

Dear sir,

Though  i m following the below procedure getting the same error " You cannot create a new Master-Detail relationship on an existing custom object if records already exist. You must first create a Lookup relationship, populate the lookup field with data in all records, and then change the relationship type to Master-Detail. "

goto setup--> App setup-->create-->object-->objectname-->field(wat u wnt change to convert the existing object from lookup field to master-field reationshipfieldname)edit--->select(masterdetail--->next---->next--->next-->save) this is the process of look up relation to master detial if one object  2 times only master details  existing

Regards,

Jashmanth sarkar

alok29novalok29nov

Hi,

You can not convert a lookup to master detail relationship if any of the  objects has some data. You can only convert the lookup relationship to master detail relationship only when both the objects dont have any data.

So try to remove the records from both the objects and then try to convert the relationship. It will work.

Let me know if you still having any issue.

Thanks

~Alok

apex_keenapex_keen

Hi Alok -I'm afraid to say..what u mentioned is not correct..I was able to convert look up to master detail relationship and both object has some data. On the contrary- what I think is...once you've look up relationship..you can convert it into master detail relationship..once all the record on detail side get linked to master object records.

alok29novalok29nov

@Apex_keen :  I agree that a lookup relationship can be converted to master detail realtionship(my mistake) but one needs to keep into mind that one can convert a lookup relationship to a master-detail relationship,  only if the lookup field in all records contains a value.

@ jashmanth :Some of your looup fileds might not have any values. Once you take care of that, you would be able to convert it from lookup to master detail.

BBajajBBajaj

Hi All,

I am facing the same problem, I have checked all the records have data for look-up field but still its not getting converted to Master-detail relationship. Any solution for this.

Thanks