function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sdavidow9sdavidow9 

Is a RecordId unique across all orgs, or just it's org?

Hi, we are merging 2 SFDC orgs and we are trying to confirm if a Record Id is unique only within it's own org, or unique across the platform?

We will probably con-catinate a char to the id while loading to it to a "legacyId" field, but not sure this is necessary.  I always thought these were GUIDs to the platform, but there is some question to the trueth of that on my team.

thanks.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher

Wait - I take that back.  On another page - they say that Ids ARE unique across all TENANTS.

Link

If I were you guys - I would plan for them to be non-unique just to cover your bases.

-Andy

All Answers

Ids are unique to your object / org - not platform-wide.

Taken from SF documentation:

"With rare exceptions, all objects in the API have a field of type ID that is named Id and contains a unique identifier for each record in the object."

-Andy

Wait - I take that back.  On another page - they say that Ids ARE unique across all TENANTS.

Link

If I were you guys - I would plan for them to be non-unique just to cover your bases.

-Andy

This was selected as the best answer
sdavidow9sdavidow9

Thanks, yeah...I think we are going the route of assuming them NOT platform wide unique, but the underlining "Yeah, they are..." approach :)

Thanks.