function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SapamrmSapamrm 

Case comments public by default

Is it possible to achieve that when a new case comment is created the "public" checkbox is already marked by default? See screenshot below.

Case comment public by default

Thanks in advance for your help.

knightknight

you could do this either with workflows or triggers

SapamrmSapamrm

I've already created a workflow that sets the comment automatically on 'public' after it is submitted (which in fact makes the "public-checkbox" useless), but I'd like the checkbox to be marked before that, so from the moment the user creates his new comment; in the "comment-creation/edit"-layout.

knightknight

did you want to have all the case comments to be public.? I was able to write a trigger where the case comment would always be public no matter what ....this check box does not get enabled when you create a case but it willl always be public when you check or uncheck it..did not get time to deep dive into this...

SapamrmSapamrm

Yeah, the comments should always be public. I think my workflow does the same as your trigger, but as I've mentionned in my previous post, the checkbox only gets checked after the comment is created and saved, and not in the "create comment" layout itself as I should want it to be. Guess this is not possible..

CaptainObviousCaptainObvious

The only way to get the checkbox marked at the moment the user creates the comment is by way of a custom link, where you append IsPublished=1 to the URL as follows:
/00a/e?parent_id={!Case.Id}&retURL=%2F{!Case.Id}&IsPublished=1
Unfortunately, we cannot override the New button on the Case Comments related list (or replace the New button with a custom list button).

The only way to get the checkbox marked at the moment the user creates the case comment is by way of a custom link, where you append &IsPublished=1 to the URL as follows:

/00a/e?parent_id={!Case.Id}&retURL=%2F{!Case.Id}&IsPublished=1

Unfortunately, (as of Spring '10) we cannot override the New button on the Case Comments related list (or replace it with a custom list button).

ic2kchad2ic2kchad2

In Email to Case Premium on the AppExchange we use a Visualforce override on the View Case button to allow us to override the New Comment button and point it to our own custom New Comment page.  Our New Comment page has a preference for defaulting Public to true among other things.

You can use the same approach to include the public attribute in the URL.  I should point out that using a Visualforce override has some implications like loss of inline editing and compatibility with the console.