function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Emoti01Emoti01 

Conditionally filling out fields, based on another field value

Hello gurus..

There is a typical requirement I have that I am confused about..

I have a field with two possible values in a Dropdown, "Value 1" and "Value 2".

If the selected Value in the field is "Value 1", then the first set of 5 fields should be exposed to the user to fill out.

Else, the other 5 set of fields should be exposed to the user to fill out.

I remember this being similar to the Toggle Applets concept somewhere else..

I would be grateful, if anybody could share some pointers on as to how we can implement this in SFDC..

Thanks & Regards

EnthEnth

The only option you have is to use a VisualForce page and set the rendered attribute for your 2 pageBlockSections accordingly (or use custom DHTML within a VF page).

The nearest option to configure instead is to create a record type for each and assign a different page layout to each record type. When the user clicks New they will be presented with a list of record types to select from (if their profile has been given permission to create them).

Emoti01Emoti01

Hi Enth,

Many thanks for the reply...

I would like to adopt the second approach..

Could you help me in detail as to how could I go about implementing it ?

In particular.. how do I configure the New button to show an option of Record Types? My understanding is that New button creates a New Record immediately.. based on the Object properties..

I am assuming I create a new Related Objects list which would save these records.

Regards..

Emoti01Emoti01

Please excuse me if this sounds a little stupid..

I am a newbie to Salesforce.. :-/

Regards..

EnthEnth

Sorry for the delay, I've been off the forums for a week.

Quite simply, create 2 record types for your object. If it's a custom object click on the custom object name (not edit) and scroll down to the record types related list. If it's a standard object you'll see a Record Types menu option. All objects have a default Master record type, when you create a new record type you'll supercede

When creating your record types you'll need to assign which profiles can Create a record of the given type. Also try and give your record types useful descriptions as these will be displayed to the users. If a profile can only create a record of a single type they will not be prompted to select a type, but otherwise the first page they will see on clicking New will be the Record Type selection.

Now you need to create 2 page layouts (create 1, get it all working, then Save As to create your new one), with your different fields on.

If you want your record types to have different picklist values then go to the record types list for that object, click on the record type name and you'll see a list of picklists you can amend.

Finally, you need to assign the page layouts to the profiles and record types. When you click Page Layout Assignment you'll now see additional columns per record type. Click Edit Assignment and you can multi-select cells to change them to your corresponding page layouts.

HTH!