function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Maggie2010Maggie2010 

Best way to load/report on lots of data in SalesForce?

I am a Java developer and I am new to SalesForce. I am taking over the SalesForce admin role from a marketing person.

My company uses SalesForce to track sales leads and clients.  I have some 2,000 accounts and about 10,000 contacts. My main database is on SQL server 2007. These contacts have tons of transactions in my main database. About 10,000 transactions a day. Contacts in my system are being identified as requestor of those transactions.

Now I want to use SalesForce's nice reporting feature to report out of those transactions. And I need some historical statistics. So I need to report out of maybe one million records.

What's the best way to do this? Import all these transactions from my SQL server DB to sales force? Or should I explore the option to have Sales Force to connect to SQL server DB? I looked at the import option and realized that those data will take lots of data storage space. Sales Force only gave me 1GB data storage :(

As I said, I am new to SalesForce. Not sure what's the best practice. Could someone please help me out? Thank you!

Ispita_NavatarIspita_Navatar

The first option you stated is fine but the second option you have stated how exactly you want to accomplish that? -By using a third party tool based on Java or C#? But I am able to understand how that will resolve your data storage woes, as for more space on Salesforce org you need to buy more space from Salesforce. Salesforce will generate report of data which is internal to the org. Perhaps what you can do is have a process where you archive and remove from salesforce all old transaction data as you have mentioned that is the one which takes lot of storage and keep them for reference in some other database of your convinience or another Salesforce org whatever suits you.

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved.

Maggie2010Maggie2010

Thanks for your reply. My 2nd option means some kind of ODBC connection that allows Sales Force to access my SQL server DB directly, without worrying about importing mass amount of data, and then sync and purge every day. If I search 'connect to SQL server database' from the help and training section I can get some help materials. I just wonder if anybody had tried that.

Thank you!