function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JeffTrullJeffTrull 

Force.com IDE 3.5, no Perspective

Just downloaded and installed according to the directions here.  "Force.com" is not one of the listed perspectives.

I did try the suggested fix at the end of the install directions, although they were a little vague:

"Add the explicit path to the JRE in the shortcut you use to launch Eclipse"

I took this to mean that I should run as follows:

eclipse -vm /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin

That didn't make any difference.

I also tried to first install the "WST" components referred to in other posts.  That didn't help either.

Is there some way to manually activate the IDE within Eclipse?  Some config setting, perhaps?

My setup:

Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 Beta 2

Eclipse 3.5.2

Thanks,

Jeff

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
JeffTrullJeffTrull

Update: a late update to the Ubuntu Eclipse package appears to have resolved this issue.  The recently released Ubuntu LTS 10.04 works fine with the latest IDE.

All Answers

JonPJonP

If you look at your Eclipse installation details (About > Installation Details), do you see the Force.com IDE plugin listed, and is it enabled?  Are there any unusual entries in Eclipse's error log?

Jon

salesforce.com Product Manager

JeffTrullJeffTrull

Thanks for your response.  "Force.com IDE" is listed in the Installation History (under Configuration contents) but there is nothing present under the Plug-ins tab.

The "View Error Log" button under the Configuration tab is greyed out.

I should add that since I posted the initial message I've downloaded Eclipse directly from eclipse.org, and it works correctly.  However, if you have any insights on what might be wrong, it would be great to resolve this issue.  This (about to be released) version of Ubuntu is the first time in recent memory that the distro's packaged version of Eclipse (3.5.2) is theoretically compatible with the latest Force.com IDE, and fixing this problem will lower barriers for people to use the IDE.

Thanks,

Jeff

JeffTrullJeffTrull

Update: a late update to the Ubuntu Eclipse package appears to have resolved this issue.  The recently released Ubuntu LTS 10.04 works fine with the latest IDE.

This was selected as the best answer