function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Tom DJTom DJ 

How to make layout display of Object field dependent on presence of Person Accounts

My company has developed a managed package on App Exchange and are trying to look for a decent work around for an issue that would normally be simple, but the fact that we can't change many things in the package is making it difficult to do and still have a professional looking product.

We have defined an Object that needs a new field, either a checkbox or two item picklist.   The Object is assigned to a tab and uses the standard object views generated by salesforce.   The tab is assigned to our application.   

The issue arises because the checkbox is related to Person Accounts and needs to be disabled or hidden if the Org does not support Person Accounts.   Leaving it visible will be confusing  to the end user.    I cannot find a way to make this happen.    Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Is my only choice to create a Visual Force Page instead of using the standard pages?  I would prefer not to do this because due to our app being a managed package,  I cannot reassign the current tab to a new Visual Force page.   I would have to create a new tab for the new Visual Force page, but becuase it is a managed package I cannot delete the old tab.  We already have one deprecated tab that appears  in the list when you hit the '+' sign to see all tabs.   I do not want to junk up the list anymore than we have.  

Thanks in advance.   Great bunch of people on this board.

Tom DJ