function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
tlo300tlo300 

Importing big amounts of users with dataloader

Hi everyone,

I'm currently helping a team manage their users in salesforce. I have to upload about 100-200 users each week so I'm using the dataloader. The problem I'm experiencing is the following:

I am able to set any parameter on a user except the tickbox that generates a new password for the user and sends it to him. This column does not show up on a user when I export every column available for users with the dataloader. IsActive doesn't result in the generation of the password either, it only makes the users active.

Any suggestions?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
tlo300tlo300

Well it's kind of a workaround but I used my succes log files from the dataloader to get the IDs of the people I added but did not activate before and used the dataloader to active them. Then I made a user view based on the date and time of the activation of these users and the users I initially activated and with this view I was able to 'select all' users from that view and reset their password.

Hope this answers your curiosity ;)

All Answers

Ritesh AswaneyRitesh Aswaney

I'm guessing you are logged into DataLoader with a profile (such as System Admin), which has sufficient access rights to access the User object and the fields on it?

I must say I don't completely understand your problem - if it that you get blank fields when you export users from the source system , OR that you cant see the fields themselves in dataloader to be able to export them.

tlo300tlo300

Yes I have administrator rights. I can upload the users and set all their settings the way I want except for one variable.

If you log into Salesforce and edit or create a user you will see a tickbox on the bottom stating 'Generate new password and notify user immediately' under 'salesforce.com Newsletter Settings'. If you don't tick this box the new user will not recieve an email stating he can now start using salesforce and his password.

This variable is not present in the users table when I try to access it from the dataloader. Hense I am unable to inform the users automatically by simply having that box ticked from the moment I add them with the dataloader with a simple something like generateNewPassword = True while there IS an option for the other tickboxes like IsActive or UserRecievesNewsLetter etc

I hope this explains my problem a bit better.

Raumil SetalwadRaumil Setalwad

Hello friend

I think i have figured out it. When we export users from organization all fields then there two fields "ReceiveInfoEMail" and "ReceiveAdminInfoEmail" both fields are check box from which you set TRUE value in "ReceiveInfoEmail" fields for all user and please let me know if he problem is solved or still exixts

tlo300tlo300

I tried uploading a testuser with both those fields set to true and still it will not send the invitation email.

We have solved it now by resetting the passwords of all the new active users. The only difference being they didn't get the invitation mail now but just the reset email. For now that will do.

Thank you all for your help :)

EIE50EIE50

Hi,

I was curious to know the solution, Did you reset the passwords for all your new users manually or did you automate it in any way? Can you please post what and how you did?

Thanks.

tlo300tlo300

Well it's kind of a workaround but I used my succes log files from the dataloader to get the IDs of the people I added but did not activate before and used the dataloader to active them. Then I made a user view based on the date and time of the activation of these users and the users I initially activated and with this view I was able to 'select all' users from that view and reset their password.

Hope this answers your curiosity ;)

This was selected as the best answer
EIE50EIE50

Thank you!!!!

debradebra

Were you able to import Role assignment with this process - I can't see any method to do this.  

Thanks

tlo300tlo300

On the User table there is a field called UserRoleId. In this field is the ID of the Role the user has. I think, if you want to mass update user roles you can just find whatever ID of the role you want to give to the user, add that in a csv and update this through the dataloader.