function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
it_guyit_guy 

Salesforce Career for Long Term??

I am just getting started with my Salesforce education. I have around 14 years of IT experience. Currently, I am a Sr. project manager and solution architect for database applications. Prior technical background includes Oracle, Developer 2000, PL/SQL, DBA, SQL Server, Business Objects, database design, datawarehouse, data migration etc. I have done some Java but not much. I have front end development experience in Oracle Developer 2000. I am able to pick up Salesforce fairly quick so far. I may need some effort with Apex programming.

I was wondering if this is the right time to get into Salesforce. Currently, the Salesforce job market is good but some people say that the in a couple of years, there will be no demand for Salesforce because there are too many Salesforce professionals. Is that true? Is Salesforce a good long term career?

I know this is a Salesforce forum but please give me some honest feedback about long term career with Salesforce. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...

SFAdmin5SFAdmin5

It's a great line of work.  I've been an admin/developer for about 4-5 years and I probably get contacted by 3-4 recruiters a week. no question there's a supply/demand discrepancy forSFDC back-end talent right now (another unintended rightnow pun)...in that demand seems to greatly exceed supply.

Only downsides in my opinion are: 1. in a free market, supply and demand tend to come in line over time, so I expect to start seeing a lot more people do what I've been doing, and 2. sf is the hot item right now and for the forseeable future.  but who knows when something better will come along.

but even when something better comes along, it's going to be in the cloud and not an on-premise solution.  and there's no possible better experience for learning back-end crm functionality than learning apex and salesforce in general.  so that should prepare all of us for whatever is next.

it_guyit_guy

Thanks Ross! Your response says it all...Yeah, I read somewhere that Oracle bought out Rightnow...

With backend programming, did you mean creating Classes in Apex?

Can you or anyone else point me in the right direction as what things are important in Salesforce in terms of job market? I am more inclined to obtain Salesforce Sales Cloud and Service Cloud Certification (wihch includes the Admin Cert) because I am interested in Sales Implementation rather than routine development. My last few years of experience has been more of solution architect / PM roles. Is it better to get the developer Certification?