function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
_Andreas__Andreas_ 

Delayed auto-response: Is it possible to auto-respond when cases close?

I'm developing a SF extension for the AppExchange which aims to automate processing of certain cases under certain conditions.  The goal is to send automatic responses to Email-to-Case Cases once they are closed pragmatically.

Is the requirement of contacting an external service (outbound messaging + SF API response) incompatible with auto-responses?  I have not found a way to trigger auto-responses on anything other than case creation, but it is impossible to make outgoing calls at case creation through triggers.

The first implementation that I came up with used Apex to send the e-mail responses, which I later found out is limited to 1000 e-mails/day with no possibility of expansion.

I have also explored the possibility of using a Workflow + E-mail Alert to send the responses.  This has the advantage of being triggered on update, and has an expandable limit of 1000 e-mails/user/day.  The down side is that the outgoing e-mails are no longer associated with the Case, and do not show up in the case history.

Does anyone know of a way that I can:

1) leverage SF auto-response in conjunction with results from an external system (web-service call)
2) leverage SF e-mail alerts to send large volumes of responses while maintaining their association with Case objects.

Thanks,

Andreas