function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Itayb34Itayb34 

Email to Case Comments - add attachments

Hello

I'm using the standard email-to-case functionality to attach emails to new and existing cases. I added the code below to "convert" emails into case comments.

I also want to add the email attachment as a case attachment. How can this be added to the code?

public class EmailMessageCopyToCaseCommentsTrigger
{
    public static void copyEmailMessagesToCaseComments(List<EmailMessage> emails)
    {
        List<CaseComment> comments = new List<CaseComment>();
        for (EmailMessage email:emails)
        {
            Id caseId = email.ParentId;
            CaseComment comment = new CaseComment(ParentId=caseId);
            comment.IsPublished = true;
            String header = 'From: '+ email.FromName + ' <' + email.FromAddress + '>\n';
            header += email.CcAddress!=null?'CC: '+ email.CcAddress + '\n\n':'\n';

if (email.TextBody!=null) {
                comment.CommentBody = header + email.TextBody; } 

else if (email.HtmlBody!=null) {
                comment.CommentBody = header + email.HtmlBody.replaceAll('\\<.*?>','');
            }

comments.add(comment);
        }

if (!comments.isEmpty())
        {
            insert comments;
        }

}

public static testMethod void testCopyEmailMessagesToCaseComments()
    {
        Case c1 = new Case(Subject='blah');
        insert c1;

List<EmailMessage> emails = new List<EmailMessage>();
        emails.add(new EmailMessage(ParentId=c1.Id,FromAddress='yo@yo.com',FromName='Yo',Subject='Subject',TextBody='TextBody',ToAddress='to@to.com'));
        emails.add(new EmailMessage(ParentId=c1.Id,FromAddress='yo@yo.com',FromName='Yo',Subject='Subject',HtmlBody='<b>HtmlBody</b><i>more</i>',ToAddress='to@to.com'));
        insert emails;

List<CaseComment> comments = [select Id,CommentBody from CaseComment where ParentId=:c1.Id];
        System.assert(comments.size()==2);

for (CaseComment comment:comments) {
            System.debug(comment.CommentBody);
            System.assert(comment.CommentBody!=null && comment.CommentBody!='');
        }
    }
}

Anthony PicaAnthony Pica

You may want to check out Email to Case Premium on the AppExchange. It might save you a bunch of time. This screenshot shows what you're looking for: https://appexchange.salesforce.com/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=00P3000000H8SE6EAN

Here's the listing: https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N30000001R5cyEAC

Disclaimer: I work for the org that makes E2CP

Marko LamotMarko Lamot

Hello,

You would need to do that directly on attachment trigger:

- check if attachment belongs to emailmessage

- if belongs to emailmessage, change parent to emailmessage parent (which is case)

Below is one example (please note, that you would need to bulkify the example code in order to avoid DML error on mass email insert):

trigger emailAttachment2Case on Attachment (before insert) {
    for( Attachment a : trigger.new ) {  
       if( a.parentid != null )
{ String s = a.parentid; if( s.substring( 0, 3 ) == '02s' ) // 02s is for emailmessage
{ a.parentid = [select parentID from EmailMessage where id = :a.parentid].parentID; // bulkify this line !!! }
} } }

Itayb34Itayb34

Thanks Marko! is there a way to include this code in my class (instead of creating another trigger)?

Marko LamotMarko Lamot

Hello,

if you want automaticaly - as mail comes into SF - do this, than it must be a trigger on attachment, that implements the functionallity - OR calls another class where this functionality is implemented.

Like - I assume - you have a trigger on mail for email.