function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
NMackeyNMackey 

Changing field length in custom object of managed released package.

I'm working on a managed package that I have uploaded as a released package to the AppExchange, but not yet submitted it for approval as I'm waiting on Salesforce Parner access.

I have since discovered a data validation issue related to the lenght of a field in a custom object, but cannot change the length of the field at all.

How can I get around this? I've tried uploading a new managed beta package, but the field length is still uneditable. I can't see any way to deprecate or delete the managed released package I have uploaded either.

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

In short, once uploaded, you can't modify a managed object or field in a way that would be potentially incompatible with prior versions. Currently, this means you can't change the length, scale, precision, or data type of those fields. The workaround is to deprecate the usage of that field, and make a new field with all the required settings. I believe support may have a means of completely removing the managed package, although this may have some limitations. I would recommend you contact support for assistance, as they have some additional tools not available to us outsiders. 

NMackeyNMackey

Okay, I'll get in touch with support and see what they can do. Since the package hasn't actually been published there are no end user consequenes to changing the file.

Will report back when I have more info.

NMackeyNMackey

Well, support weren't much help re: deleting the package from The App Exchange.

I can't actually see any means of deprecating the field so I can add a new, larger one to replace it. 

CrushCrush

I know your post was about a year old, but what did you end up doing?

I have a released package and I need to change the datatype of one of the custom fields.