function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
-d-g--d-g- 

Questions about Upgrading an Unmanaged Package

Before I came on the scene, someone installed Milestones PM in an Unmanaged form on the production system.  It works fine, but during the system checks that occur when trying to upload new code to production, the tests fail.  Anyway, I read that upgrading the package solves this issue.  Unfortunately I can't find any information about how to go about upgrading an unmanaged package.  Here are some questions:

If I uninstall the package, will I lose the data?  This is a big one.

If I uninstall the package, what will happen to the validation rules and the workflows?

What is the best way to go about uninstalling and reinstalling the package?  Ensuring that I don't lose data and hopefully workflow and other rules.

Thanks for any clarification, tips, or whatever...

HariDineshHariDinesh

Hi,

Here are the answers for that questions that might help you.

1Q) if I uninstall the package, will I lose the data?  This is a big one.

ANS- Yes, if the object came through package and if you uninstall the package the object will be remove from that org, obviously that data will also be deleted from that Org.

One point here:

While uninstalling of Managed Package and Unmanaged Package the data will be available for some time and you can download the date of all objects (Packaged) even after uninstalling the package.

2Q) if I uninstall the package, what will happen to the validation rules and the workflows?

ANS- The validation rules and work flows will be removed from that org with the uninstallation of package.

3Q) what is the best way to go about uninstalling and reinstalling the package?  Ensuring that I don't lose data and hopefully workflow and other rules.

ANS-so Before Uninstalling the Package, prepare which object data you need and know all the relationships between those objects and  uninstall the package and then download the file having data of all objects.

Now Prepare the new package as per required and install it on that target Org.

Obviously that work flows and validation rules will come with new package installation, now load the data that you have in to that newly created objects.

One Problem you will find here is: if there is any Relation between any objects you need to take care or Ids that are related to respective child record.

Please feel free to let me know if you still have any questions related to that above process.