function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BennyButler2BennyButler2 

Getting started question

I sent this to my SF rep, no response yet, so I hope you guys can help.

BTW, I DO know I need the PHP toolkit (v13) and to upgrade from 5.2 to 5.3 for a few features.

BTW, I'm using Pro now, I'm pretty sure the upgrade to enterprise is required... (And forgive me, I dumbed this down a bit because I was speaking to a sales person ;) I do know a little bit more than I let on. 

-------------snip---------------- 

There are three independent goals here for me.  Inorder, they are.

1.       Movedata from our system to SF for reporting and communicating withcustomers/affiliates. Should be easy, I’m just moving data one way.

2.       Movedata from SF to our system. Should be easy,  moving data the other way.

3.       UseSF to manage sales commissions and bonuses.  This is morecomplicated.  SF will be used to manage processes at this point, withoutnecessarily communicating to our servers about what’s done.

So, I thought I was going to go get the documentation forthe API, upgrade to enterprise, and go to work.

Well, then I’m flooded with options.  And I think thebiggest thing I’m having a hard time with is that some tools are for me towrite applications to sell to SF customers.  Some tools are for me tobuild my entire SITE on SF.  But I want whichever tools I need JUST tocommunicate with MY data.

So do I need to be looking at Visualforce or Apex orforce.com api?

Partner API vs enterprise API?

Should I be looking at force.com?

Do I need a developer account?

Anything I'm missing here? 

----------------

Thanks guys 

mpannmpann
  1. Movedata from our system to SF for reporting and communicating withcustomers/affiliates. Should be easy, I’m just moving data one way
  2. Movedata from SF to our system. Should be easy,  moving data the other way
  3. UseSF to manage sales commissions and bonuses.  This is morecomplicated.  SF will be used to manage processes at this point, withoutnecessarily communicating to our servers about what’s done.

Have you considered using one of the many integration options to accomplish 1 or 2? Depending on what the other system is, there might be a fully defined connector already out there.

The idea of cloud computing is to do as little custom coding as possible :) At least that's what I always saw as on of the main attractions.

I think you should re-evaluate almost all of the tacid assumptions you made in your post. PHP is only one of the options out there and by no means the most commonly used.

At the danger of sounding patronizing, I would first more clearly define, what the business processes actually are, before worrying about what API to use. The former should influence the latter!

Message Edited by mpann on 09-03-2009 08:38 PM